Quantcast

DesignBoston has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.designboston.org
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Goodbye Jimmy's Harborside

The Boston Globe reports today that the former warehouse building that has housed Jimmy's Harborside Restaurant (a.k.a. "Home of the Chowder King" - please pronounce that in a proper Boston vernacular when you read it) for over 50 years is beginning to be torn down today. In it's place will be a development of two buildings, including up to four restaurants.

There is a possibility that Jimmy's will reappear in one of the new buildings, but as the waterfront continues to move from the home of Boston's fishing
industry to a more affluent, tourist driven area (and possible home to the next City Hall) may price the inexpensive, family-oriented restaurant out of the market.

Now, I can't say I've ever eaten at Jimmy's. No, I grew up in the suburbs, and the only time I came into the waterfront to eat was when my parents brought me to Anthony's Pier IV after my Confirmation. And I know that something needs to be destroyed in order for something else to be built. But my parents, both from around the city, and especially my dad (who's a fisherman at heart) have fond memories of Jimmy's. Even if it comes back, it won't be the same to them.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=61719fbc45a71181763390468347ad57