Quantcast

DesignBoston has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.designboston.org
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Marimekko in Cambridge

I've been a bad blogger. I went away over the long weekend, enjoying the peace and beautiful scenery of the White Mountains, came back, and have neglected my duties. I'm sorry.

To make up for it, let me introduce Marimekko, the classic Finnish textile and clothing design company. Of course, introductions may not be necessary, since Marimekko has a rich history, including clothing Jaqueline Kennedy during her husband's campaign to become President.

It was recently reported in the Boston Globe, and by Holly at Decor8 (and by Catherine, aka Scrappy Girl), that Marimekko is opening its first U.S. concept store in Cambridge. As mentioned in the Globe article, it makes since to have it in Cambridge, since that is where Marimekko designs were first sold in the U.S., at Design Research, a landmark home furnishings store.

The new Marimekko concept store, located at 350 Huron Ave in Cambridge, "sells fabric by the yard ($38-65) ranging from the classic poppy pattern to more restrained black and white designs, as well as comforters, towels, pillows, umbrellas, bags, kitchenware, bathrobes, and assorted gift items. It also sells women's clothing by contemporary Finnish designers."

I will definitely check it out and let you all know what I think. In a more timely manner next time, I promise.

1 comment:

Blogging Masterclass said...

Have you had a moment to check this store out? I'm hitting it the moment I return back to the states, I can't wait! :)
Holly

 
ss_blog_claim=61719fbc45a71181763390468347ad57